Tuesday 25 November 2014

Textual Analysis of student-made openings

THRILLER (the genre that I have chosen for my own coursework)
Lost Signal - It is not established by the creator what genre this opening sequence is but I can tell that it is clearly a thriller. I know this because of the use of camera shots that make it look like the character we see is being watched by someone, something that is typical of a thriller film, as well as the 'eery' music playing in the background that helps to build tension in the film.
I actually quite like this opening sequence because I think that it clearly states what genre the film is by using it's conventions and it also attracts the audiences attention, because I want to know what happens to the guy now that we found out the man in the house wasn't dead!
Fear - This is another horror/thriller opening sequence that clearly sticks to the conventions on the genre in terms of creating tension and suspense in the opening sequence that will make the audience want to know what happens next. As well as the previous example, this opening sequence also makes use of 'eery'/creepy music to build tension and a shot of sudden movement that is used to make the audience jump.
Although I generally like this opening sequence, in my opinion I do think that some parts are dragged out a bit too long and if they could be shortened slightly then it would make the film better and help keep the tension.



ACTION

End Point - It is not stated by the creator by what genre this opening sequence is and so I am presuming that it is an action film because it is fast-paced and up-beat. Another convention of an action film is to build tension in the opening sequence and to get the audience asking questions about what could happen next, something that is definitely happening with this opening sequence! I'm curious to find out what the boy had or who he was and why he was running from the guy in suit? So for this reason, I would say that this is a good opening sequence.

No comments:

Post a Comment