Saturday 11 April 2015

Coursework Evaluation: Question 7

Question 7: Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?

Throughout the production process between my preliminary task and the finished product I feel that I have learnt a lot about both the production and creation processes of film.

Firstly, I have learnt about the use of different camera angles that can help to tell a story and to show emotion on a character's face. I learnt that through the use of wide and establishing shots the audience are able to learn about the film as they are shown the place in which the film is set; something which could potentially foreshadow to the rest of the plot.

I have also learnt about the use of non-diegetic sounds, like background music, to help create feeling and emotion within a video. I originally had not thought about using any background music in my final product but changed my mind when I figured that it helped to create tension within the opening sequence. The piece of non-diegetic music that I used helps to keep the audience interested in the opening sequence as well as making the feel the right emotions (apprehension and worry) towards what is happening in the scene.

During this process I also learned about different types of editing that can be used to help tell a story. Although I did not use it in my final product, we did use shot/reverse shot in the preliminary task during a section of dialogue between two characters to show conversation. We also used other pieces of continuity editing to help tell a short story for this preliminary task. We also used the 180 degree rule to make sure that characters within the scene were always kept in the same position; as breaking this rule could lead to confusion about a character's role. In my final product I made use of editing techniques like cut and fading out to sequence together the scenes to make the overall product run smoothly with no jumps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment